Thursday, June 10, 2010

Welcome to PlantWorld! (Dichelostemma ida-maia)

Dichelostemma ida-maia
Welcome to PlantWorld! Join me as I travel around California, the United States, and the world learning about native plants (and sometimes not so native) wherever I happen to be.

I try to get into the field every weekend during the flowering season, which in California extends from early March all the way to early September. I'll use this blog to talk about what I see and what I found interesting enough to share.


Dichelostemma ida-maia
'exploding' in mid-air
We'll start off with a really neat geophyte in the Themidaceae, Dichelostemma ida-maia, the firecracker flower of northern California and southern Oregon. I encountered this species along Covelo Road in southern Mendocino County, California.  I'd seen the species before in cultivation but it's always exciting to see the plant growing in a natural setting, even if it is beside a busy road. Luckily the road had decent shoulders and traffic was light so we stopped.


Calcochortus amabilis
Our initial reason for stopping was a pretty spectacular display of Calochortus amabilis and as we walked up that's when we noticed the Dichelostemma ida-maia. It really did look like fireworks setting off over the Calochortus.


This species is easy to grow in the garden and is available from specialty bulb nurseries.

No comments:

Post a Comment